town of Thurso, in Scotland, has the distinction of being
the most northerly town on mainland Britain. Once an important
port, it remains today a pleasant fishing town and resort.
Thurso Castle lies on the shore, one-mile north east of
the town. Beyond the castle stands Harold's Tower--the Sinclair
burial place. Harold's Tower was erected over the grave
of Harold, an Earl of Caithness who was killed in 1196.
The name Sinclair is of Norman origin from 'Saint-Clair-sur-Elle'
and was established in Scotland in 1162 when Henry de St
Clair of Roslin was granted lands in Lothian. Sir Henry
Sinclair fought with Robert the Bruce at Bannockburn and
was one of the Scottish barons who signed the letter to
the Pope asserting Scottish independence. His son, Henry
married Isobel, co-heiress of the Earldom of Orkney and
Caithness providing the Sinclairs with land in the far north
of Scotland. George, Earl of Caithness, built the original
Thurso Castle in 1660...