Castle, which overlooks Leader Water, is about twenty-eight
miles south of Edinburgh, Scotland. A fort was first built
on the present site of Thirlestane Castle in the 13th century.
The present castle was completed in 1590 and remodeled in
the 1670's and the1840's. In 1250, Sir Richard Maitland
married Avicia, the daughter and sole heiress of Thomas
du Thirlestane. Through this marriage, the lands of Thirlestane,
Hedderwick and Blyth in the county of Berwickshire came
into the Maitland family...