from Scotland the Humes came to Tipperary in the 14th century.
They were shipbuilders and were classed as the richest commoners
in the country. In 1632, Thomas Hume bought the land now
known as Humewood. The eccentric and controversial architect,
William White, designed Humewood, which subsequently became
one of the most remarkable Victorian buildings in Ireland.
The commission came in 1864, from the Right Honorable William
Wentworth Fitzwilliam Dick of Humewood, Member of Parliament
for County Wicklow, who had assumed his mother's family
surname of Dick in lieu of his own, Hume...