have been three main periods in the construction of Hever
castle. The oldest part of the castle was built about 1270
by Sir William de Hever and consisted of the massive gatehouse
and a walled Bailey surrounded by a moat with a wooden drawbridge.
In about 1500, the Bullen family added a comfortable Tudor
house inside the protective wall. Finally, in 1903 the castle
was bought by William Waldorf Astor who restored and filled
it with treasures built an adjacent Tudor village and created
the lake and gardens. Hever has had many distinguished owners
including Sir William de Hever, Sir John Falstaff, the Bullens,
King Henry VIII, Anne of Cleves (Henry's fourth wife) and
the Astors. Since 1983 a private company has owned Hever
1498, Thomas Bullen married Elizabeth Howard, daughter of
the Duke of Norfolk. They had several children including
George (b1503), Mary (b1504) and the ill-fated Anne (b1507)...