in Hampshire, dates to Saxon times with the name 'Ferneberga'
or 'Fearn-beorh' meaning 'Fern Hill'. Ferneberga formed
part of the Hundred of Crondall and belonged to King Alfred
Restoration days, the manor house, standing on the outskirts
of Windsor Forest, was a favourite hunting lodge of Charles
II. In 1722, the house, after being redesigned by Sir Christopher
Wren, seems to have acquired the name Farnborough Place.
The summit of the Manor's hill ("Windmill Hill" mentioned
in the Domesday Book as worth 10 pence) was chosen by Mr.
Thomas Longman, the head of the well-known publishing firm,
as the site for his great country manor, replacing a much
smaller Georgian house. The plans were entrusted to Henry
Edward Kendall, an architect at the height of his career.
The current Farnborough Hill, completed in 1863, is generally
in the early English domestic style characterised by massed
gables, turrets, chimneys, carved stone friezes and ornate