In the year 914 by Ethelfleda "Lady of the Mercians", Warwick
was built on an outcrop of rock overhanging the River Avon.
Eastgate is one of the three remaining original gates into
the old town of Warwick. Eastgate was reconstructed during
the 15th Century when the chapel of St. Peter was built
above it. What remains today is the Gothic remodeling of
Francis Horn, built around 1788. The roadway that now curves
around the building was probably made at the same time with
traffic passing through the central archway and pedestrians
through a side tunnel.
around Eastgate and incorporated in the sculpture are some
interesting features; namely, a drinking fountain given
to the town in 1859 by a Wilmcote quarry owner and a Greek
Doric pillar box dating from the reign of Queen Victoria.